This was awesome! Just absolutely awesome. I’d love to say more about it but I really can’t – it is my definition of the perfect desert.
If you’re not much of a baker it’s a great place to start; it’s remarkably easy and super delicious.
Cherry Ricotta Rum Galette – Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 cups cherries, pitted (we used 1 cup sour and 3 cups sweet)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- rind of half lemon
- 1 pie dough. We used our recipe.
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 20-30Black pepper corns (whole)
- 1 egg, beaten
Cherry Ricotta Rum Galette – Instructions
- Place ricotta in a bowl, mix with lemon and pinch of salt. Cover and leave on counter.
- Mix cherries with sugar and lemon rind, cover and place in fridge.
- Make dough, wrap in plastic and place in fridge.
- Wait 2-4 hours.
- There will be a considerable amount of cherry juice pulled from the cherries. Mix it with maple syrup, rum and pepper corns. Simmer until reduced to 1-2 tablespoons of syrup (it will be thicker than the water and it will reduce quickly near the end so keep an eye on it and stir it).
- Strain the liquid to remove the pepper and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll dough into a rough circle on parchment paper and transfer to a cookie sheet.
- Mix syrup with ricotta then mix that with the cherries.
- Place cherry mixture into a high mound in the center of the dough. Roughly fold the dough and brush with egg.
- Bake until crisp and brown, about 25 minutes.
What’s your favorite type of fruit pie or galette?