Two book reviews in two days! We’re making up for lost time.
Todays review is actually the second time we’ve reviewed the same book. Food in Jars was released in Spring, 2012. It came out just as we were making significant changes to WellPreserved (we switched servers, templates and the entire back end of the site) and I just recently realized that our original review either didn’t publish correctly or it got eaten by the Internet when we converted (I knew we lost 3 or 4 posts in the conversion but couldn’t identify which ones were lost).
And this book, by our friend, Marisa McClellan is too good not to share. When it comes to waterbath preserving books (jams, pickles, jellies and more), Food in Jars is my absolute favorite preserving book (apologies to other friends; I adore your work too but this book nudges ahead of others to me).
5 Reasons I adore Food and Jars
- The photography. The book is packed with stunning shots and the shots are shot with a similar feel throughout. This is a large part of what separates Food In Jars from other great books.
- The layout/ design. It’s pretty. The text is laid out wonderfully, the pages have textured patterns and care has been given to layout the text and titles.
- The recipes pop off the page. Although there’s plenty of text (providing context and instructions for the preserve), ingredients are easy to identify as they are printed in bold on the page. It’s a subtle idea but one that makes using the book that much more enjoyable.
- Small Batches. Preserving doesn’t have to be a big affair. Many of the recipes are for 2-5 jars of food. This removes a lot of intimidation and cost from the process.
- Four-season preserving. She helps readers get inspired for preserving food through the entire year (something we are also passionate about).
There are 14 recipe sections of the book:
- Fruit Butters
- Curds and Conserves
- Chutneys and Condiments
- Salsas and Relishes
- Whole Fruit
- Granola in Jars
- Nut Butters
- Other Foods in Jars
We’ve made many of Marisa’s recipes and love her book!