After thinking about buying a high-speed blender for years, we took the plunge in August. After weighing the options between a BlendTec and a Vitamix, we opted for the Vitamix and bought our blender:
It’s only been a few weeks, but here’s a quick list of our initial observations:
- We love it. We already wonder why we waited so long to get it.
- It has replaced two food processors; one that was mostly broken after only 2 years of use.
- It’s ability to blend ice leaves us stunned every time. We often add ice to smoothies when blending – it chills the beverage and makes it smoother.
- It takes some getting used to. When you turn it on you start on low and crank it up to the speed you want. We kept getting warned to watch the DVD that came with it before using it and I understand why.
- We’ve been surprised at how often we use it. It’s been great even for salad dressing.
- It’s a breeze to clean. Add water and a bit of soap and blitz. Rinse and you’re done.
- It’s loud – but not as loud as everyone warned me. I expected it to sound like a plane. It’s more like a Helicopter.
- Not everything works out – I made a brutal concoction with way too many ingredients and it came out particularly blegh.
- I have to blend things more (Dana has this one mastered). I sometimes stop too soon, worried about heating up the food (you can actually make hot soup in the blender).
- The ‘tamper’ (it’s a wand that lets you push food into the blender) is awesome.
I’m willing to bet this is a long-term relationship!