We don’t drink cocktails all that often but when we do I’m most likely to order a sour. I love the combination of sweet and sour; especially when the sweetness comes from maple syrup or honey. When we first created this Amaretto Sour recipe I knew we were on to something – the sourness of the lemon is just an awesome combination with the nuttiness of the liqueur and the warmth of the maple syrup.
We use cherry bitters when we make this cocktail. If you don’t have them you could use other fruit bitters or zest an orange (a sharp vegetable peeler is best for this) and twist it over the cocktail before dropping it in. This will allow the natural oils to escape the zest and combine with your cocktail and is a great trick any time you want to add a flavor punch to a cocktail.
Before beginning together the ingredients for this cocktail, rinse a glass (inside and out) and place inside the freezer, still partially wet. It will only take a few minutes to chill and frost.
- 3 ounces of Amaretto
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 fresh egg white
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- A few dashes of cherry bitters (optional)
- Fill a cocktail shaker (or other non-breakable container with ice)
- Place all ingredients in the shaker. Shake till mix throughout (about 15 seconds; this should be enough to get the egg white to become frothy when poured into a glass)
- Fill a glass with ice to the top (optional)
- Pour contents of shaker into glass.
- Enjoy your evening.