Preserving has taught me many things I use in my daily cooking. For instance, adding sugar to roughly chopped fruit will pull juices out of fresh fruit.
Here`s a quick salad dressing that`s just fabulous:
- Roughly chop a half cup of strawberries (if you don`t have an immersion blender or food processor, cut them finer).
- Toss berries in 1 tablespoon of sugar. We used maple sugar which was fabulous.
- Place coated berries in fridge for 1-24 hours.
- liquify mixture – an immersion hand mixer is best though you could crush with a potato masher. You must do this before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Add black pepper to taste (as much as you`d like – and I like to be bold).
- Add 1 tablespoon of Grand Marnier.
- Add 2 tablespoons of balsamic.
- Mix all together with a spoon.
You can skip the Grand Marnier if you don`t have any but it adds a neat citrus note. You could also replace it with a teaspoon or two of lemon or orange juice.