Dana took one look at the bright red bowl of salad dressing before looking up at me and asking, “What’s in it?” She, like me, is an adventurous eater so I knew she wasn’t questioning whether she’d eat it – she just wanted to know what ‘it’ was. I told her the ingredients.
Seems like there’s a whole lot going on.
It wasn’t exactly a rave review. But I held out hope – and it was worth it. Despite having a lot of ingredients, this really was a fantastic dressing and she agreed.
This dressing is overtly red. It’s bright, tangy and creamy – even though there’s nothing creamy in it. It is ideally made with a high-speed blender (which will pulverize the seeds) though you may prefer the texture of the seeds. We served it with the simplest salad (made only of different lettuce leaves) and it was a great compliment to showcase the flavors of the greens – as well as the dressing.
Strawberry Balsamic and Basil Salad Dressing Recipe – Ingredients
Yields about a cup of salad dressing.
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and lightly washed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic (the best balsamic you have, if you have multiples0
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon mustard (avoid yellow mustard; you could use dijon or something a little milder)
- 5 or 6 basil leaves
- salt and black pepper to season
Strawberry Balsamic and Basil Salad Dressing Recipe – Instructions
- Add everything to the blender, puree until smooth.
- Serve chilled.