We bought a SodaStream almost 6 months ago and use it almost daily. It’s been handy to have carbonated water at a whim and we’ve also had fun ‘dressing it up’ by adding other flavors such as bitters which have been great flavor enhancers. We haven’t purchased any of the syrups that will allow you to create ‘instant pop’ and don’t plan on it – the results have been great as-is.
We recently made a ginger cordial that can be added to carbonated water (I suppose it would work with still water as well). We keep it in the fridge where it should easily last for several weeks.
This recipe makes 1 liter (1 quart) and can easily be cut in half. Mix a half cup of this concentrate in a 1 liter (1 quart) mason jar of bubbly water to make your beverage. Since it’s an 8-to-1 ratio, this will make 8 liters of the final beverage.
- 1 liter of water
- 4 ounces of chopped ginger (if you don’t have a scale, us about 4 inches of it). It’s ok to leave the skin on.
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 0.75 cups of honey; I used a liquid honey which made incorporating it easy.
- Bring the water to a boil before adding the ginger.
- Bring back to a boil (if the ginger stopped it) and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, turn the heat off and stir until incorporated.
- Allow the cordial to steep overnight (you can put in the fridge once it’s cooled if that will make you feel better – I left it out for the 5 hours I slept and that was enough to cool it down).
- Strain the ginger out. It’s now sweetened ginger – add to ice cream, make cookies with ir or even add it to stir fry.
- Pour into a clean jar and store in fridge.
Shake before using as the honey can slightly separate.
This doesn’t have the complexity of yesterdays Ginger Beer – but it doesn’t take weeks either!