We’re just over 2 weeks away from the next Home Ec event! It’s been a while since we’ve shared what Home Ec is all about, so here’s the blow-by-blow:
- It’s a free event held in a small bar in the east end of Toronto (The Avro). Because of liquor licenses, it is 19+
- It is a non-competitive gathering of strangers who are interested in food. The crowd is friendly and approachable.
- Each event has a one-off badge (a pin) like Boy Scouts or Girl Guides. The pin is generally associated to some form of challenge and a theme for that month.
- We team up with The Avro to create a one-off cocktail that melds some form of preserving with their wicked knowledge of mixology.
- It’s held the last Monday of the month from 8-10 (though some come early and even stay late!)
Here’s the theme for April:
We’ve just found out via a friend (thanks Nat!) that it’s also the kind-of one-year anniversary of the Royal Wedding (Part 2) – it’s gotta be fate!
Be as literal or as inventive as you wish. Arrive with small serving (there are generally less than 30 people there) of finger sammies. Be inspired by high tea, the Queen or the last time everyone stood around in dark clothing sharing a few bites! We’ll have a small form so each person can fill out the details of what’s in theirs so you’ll know what you’re biting into in advance.
We hope to see you there – although there is a core group of people who have become regulars, there’s always newcomers and, so far, everyone has been really friendly. You can RSVP on Facebook (optional but it helps us plan).
Here’s the recaps from the last 3:
We hope to see you there!