I was excited to see how these would turn out with a week or so of fermenting:
Beets are relatively easy to ferment:
- Add salt, apply pressure.
- Leave on counter; the salt should pull enough fluid to cover the beets within 6-12 hours
- Top up with salt brine if needed.
- Leave covered, taste often
While the flavor of these ended well, they ended up very slimy. The texture just wasn’t my thing.
There’s a few possibilities (and I’m open to your ideas/ expertise as well):
- The small pieces somehow created the texture.
- There wasn’t enough salt and things fermented faster than I thought.
- Was bad luck.
- Caused by the type of beets.
- My water didn’t end up de-chlorinating and fermentation was stopped.
I once-in-a-while get a slippery batch but it’s not enough to hold me back. Clearly it’s time to do some more reading!