One of the great things about dehydrating is that one can experiment without worrying about the safety of the results (quite the opposite of a lot of waterbath caning).
Not all experiments are successful – and this one has had it`s hits and misses. I wanted to simulate those sesame snacks you get at the store. My flavor isn`t what I want and the end results are very sticky – but they hold together and have the desired crunch. If I were to do it again (and I`ll share if and when I do), I would use molasses (as the store-bought does) and toast the seeds.
There`s not a lot to this – I mixed honey and maple syrup with sesame seeds. I used as little as necessary to ensure every seed had a little on it. I then squeezed and then rolled out the paste between two rolls of parchment paper and stuck in the dehydrator as hot as I could (I ended up finishing these off in the oven). The idea is, essentially, to dehydrate the liquids and make everything firm up.
We dried it at about 155 degrees for 8 or 9 hours and then finished in our oven around 200 for an hour or two.
This may even work better in the oven. I believe drying this around 175 (our oven goes to 200 so we`d just open the door from time to time) would work the best.
These are edible and darn close to what I want – but I know we can do even better…
You can pick up the sheet of seeds in the last shot by a corner of it – it`s as dry as the commercial product.
* Although this worked, ambient humidity crept into the final product and made it less than the crunchy product I was aiming for. In other words, the product became softer as days wore on – nothing that couldn’t be fixed by drying again. Storing it in an airtight environment would have slowed such process..