We’re a few days away from this month’s HomeEc (although it’s normally the last Monday of the month, it’s early this month). It’s our last HomeEc at The Avro (which is, sadly, closing) but we’ll be moving to The Handlebar next month. Of course there’s also a HomeEc event happening at the Rehab Tavern in Columbus, Ohio this Monday too (hosted by the amazing combo of Kate and Rachel).
If you’ve never been to HomeEc, it’s a monthly food event which is typically a food swap or a potluck with a theme. It’s a non-competitive event and focused on community, friendship and sharing food. This month’s theme, to honour the closing of our favorite watering hole, is comfort food.
Neither place has facility to warm food. We try to keep waste to a minimum so participants may wish to bring a small plate and cutlery or figure out how to make comfort food that is bite-sized and easy to eat without needing any!
I thought it would be fun to share a few ideas for inspiration though the options are endless. Here’s 10 great starting points:
- Macroni and Cheese Fritters (like these from Vasavi’s Recipes)
- Chilli Bites (from Just Easy Recipes)
- Stuffed Potatoes (Home Cooking in Montana cooked eggs in them!)
- I’m a big fan of mashed potatoes (like these from the Reluctant Gourmet)
- Baked Apples are a memory I treasure from my childhood (check out these from Skinny Taste)
- There are many varieties of pot pies like these from Simply Scratch
- My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw this cheese bread from Seasons & Suppers.
- The smell of baked beans makes me want to snuggle under a blanket. Check these out from Dinner with Julie – they’re made with Guinness!
- Grits bring comfort to many (check out these garlic cheese grits from Taste of Home)
- Scalloped Potatoes like these cheesy ones from Brown Eyed Baker look awesome!
What’s your favorite comfort food?