We were asked about what types of ‘weird things’ we’ve preserved so it’s time to come clean (this was so much fun to create) with our list of ‘weird crap we’ve preserved’:
- Epic Sauerkraut. It doesn’t sound odd, does it? It’s wasn’t – except that I made it in different hotel rooms as I travelled through the UK and fermented it in hotel safes so it wouldn’t get thrown out – and then smuggled it back to Canada.
- Candied Bacon Jerky. 12 months later and I still haven’t recovered fully from smelling bacon dry for 72 hours in our house.
- Dehydrated violets candied with maple syrup. There’s no link because it didnt’ work: I ended up with a mess of sticky flowers.
- Wine powder. Also no link because the project hasn’t worked (yet). The essence: put the contents of a bottle of wine in the dehydrator for 48 hours to try to create a powder/ ultimate reduction. Wine, being mostly water, disappears.
- Moose Stock. This one doesn’t seem odd to me at all but I know it’s a very different perspective for many so it made the list!
There are probably more but I’ve blocked them psychologically to preserve my own ego (I say that to tease myself). What would make your list of weird preserves?
The on-demand series of articles came from topics that users have suggested. We love your questions/ ideas/ requests and will do our best to answer them in this series of posts – feel free to add your ideas in the comments below!